Monday 8 April 2019

If at first you don't succeed...


Hey everybody, today I'm going to talk about some positives and negatives that have happened to me in the last few weeks.
I'm currently studying part time with the Open University, studying towards BSc (Honours) Computing and IT. I'm in what is technically my second year, as I'm studying part-time whilst I work full time and raise children. The module I'm working towards right now is 'Cisco Networking'. So far, I have really enjoyed this module and it has been going well. It has enabled me to study a topic I'm deeply passionate about, whilst studying towards a certification alongside my degree pathway. This last weekend just gone, I participated in the first and only day school for this module. This enabled me to meet some amazing and interesting people, whilst getting my first actual hands on experience using networking equipment outside of Packet Tracer.
Going from just using Packet Tracer to being put in a room with a giant server rack, several computers and an insane number of different colour-coded cables was at first daunting.
While it seemed daunting at first, once I got paired up with people, the day got off to a good start and I soon had a feel for what my role was in the group.
The day school ended with an hour and a half closed-book exam. Now, closed-book exams have never been my strong suit. in essence, I panic a lot and my mind goes blank leaving me no option but to blag my way through the content. Unfortunately I scored a measly 27% on this attempt. However, going by my statistics for the course, I've scored quite highly. 85% for my first assignment, and 100% on my second assignment. Even on the day school assignment itself I got 100%. As disappointed as I am by this score, I've achieved so much and I'm not going to give up now. For example; last month alone, I passed my driving theory test, practical driving test and got my first job as an IT Support Engineer, whilst studying with the Open University and raising children. The people at work are incredible, very patient and supportive.
I have one assignment left for this module, which I'm hoping to complete within the next month. Using the resources available, I'm going to study harder and finish on a strong note, before hopefully sitting the iCND1 this summer.
The resources I have been using for this module, are:

-Introduction to Networks V6 Companion guide
-Routing and Switching Essentials V6 Companion guide
-David Bombal's Udemy Course (Which when i got it was available for about £10/$10) full name of the course (Cisco CCNA Packet Tracer Ultimate labs: CCNA Exam prep labs)
-CCNA Routing and Switching Portable Command Guide (Fourth Edition)
-Youtube
-#labeveryday
-Podcasts on Networking

If you're studying networking and are possibly struggling along with it, contact me, and lets try and work through some problems together. Or, refer to some of the resources I have listed above, to help you on your way. My two favourite resources in the last are the '#labeveryday' and 'David Bombal's Udemy Course'. David's videos are easy to follow and help to quickly increase confidence in Packet Tracer. Also, the best way to learn something, is by doing, which is why '#labeveryday' is also top of my list.

Thank you for all the support. I hope to post more content this weekend, so please stay tuned for that. I hope you all have an excellent and productive week.

No comments:

Post a Comment